Sunday, October 13, 2013

Week #5

Happy Oktyabr everyone!! Its beginning to look a lot like fall:) I love all of the turning leaves and crispy air just cold enough to have to wear a light sweater but not cold enough for a jacket. love it. This week I met my dad's college room mate from BYU HAWAII ! He is the chef at the west campus and he is so nice! He sent a box of kneaders
cinnamon rolls to my district! They were amazing and he was so thoughtful. Also, we are starting to learn more and more about not only how to teach people, but how to teach russians. Especially the law of chastity and the word of wisdom. The word of wisdom is really difficult because it is such a huge culture thing. Not only alcohol, but tea. Tea is tricky but apparently it is the ultimate "I do not accept your friendship" gesture when you decline a cup of tea. It is so rude! So our native russian teacher, sister brewer gave us a whole lesson on the culture/manners of tea. what we can drink, what we cant and why, and tons of substitutes we can ask for instead, and bringing our own tea and plenty to share with us where ever we go. Basically we will probably be giving the word of wisdom lesson whenever we are offered tea. It was a very interesting lesson and Im excited to actually experience these culture things, even though it will be very hard to explain to them. Saturday night was the Relief Society General Broadcast. WOW. It was so amazing to be up in the choir spots in the conference center!! There was sooo many people. "A full house" (President Monson) haha. Singing the words to the hymns meant more to me then and now then ever before. the line, "More fit for the Kingdom-more used would I be" from "More holiness give me," gives me chills every time. We learned that when the song was first written it was called "My Prayer." That is very fitting I think. Then "I'll Go Where You want me to Go" totally relates to missionary work! Duh I know...but I had never thought about that before. "I'll go where you want me to go dear lord, over mountain or plain or sea."...or all of them! We were so close to the speakers too!! It was way cool. The speakers were amazing! I loved how all of the talks were about keeping baptismal covenants. I reflected back on my own baptism and unfortunately I dont remember much and I know that I didn't understand much either. It seems like the kids that age now are learning so much more and hopefully they are understanding more than I did when I was that age. Elder Holland waved at us! and the General Relief Society Presidency came and spoke to us before the meeting, and then again at the end of it. And we got to line up--all 300 and somethin sisters--and give hugs to the Relief society presidency and introduce ourselves and where we are headed. It took forever obviously but it was amazing!! I am so thankful for the opportunity I had to go and be a part of the choir. It strengthened my testimony so much! I loved it. Yesterday the 3 older disctricts left. We have grown so close to them lately so it was a bitter sweet goodbye for all of us. But We are excited for the experiences they will have in Samara!! They will be wonderful missionaries:) And that makes us the oldest. that was quick huh? haha i think so. Its been great getting to know the younger districts and helping them and such. we are almost finished with our "textbook" and after that we just review everything and memorize charts. Well, I am officially half way through the MTC. It was been a wonderful time..but it's time to get out. :) haha Sometimes I feel that way...then I remember how much I dont know about the russian language and I am thankful for the 4 weeks I have left. John 8:29-- "And he that sent me is with me; the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please Him." As we go throughout our days strive to do only the things that would please the Father. I know that this will bring so much happiness and peace and He will never forsake you. I love you all and I am thankful for your letters and the wonderful examples you are setting for me. Take care and God bless :) Cectpa Downing

No comments:

Post a Comment